Sunday 8 February 2009

I miss doing virtual flights

After an absence of nearly 5 months I finally have the peace of mind to come back to flight simulation. I also hope to continue acquiring hardware for my home cockpit and soon a new power PC suitable for FSX!

About two weeks ago I made my first flight in months and the first of 2009. It was flown online (IVAO) with a Boeing 737 NG from my hangar.

Unfortunately the model I chose was not quite suitable (which I had forgotten) and the plane exhibited a lot of problems (BTW this was not from the VA fleet). That was bad, very bad. From takeoff the a/c proved to be a wild beast. The autopilot was not working properly (I had an experimental panel on this a/c), it couldn't reach cruise altitude or for that matter maintain altitude or speed. The whole flight from Cyprus to Syria (Aleppo - OSAP) was a constant struggle. Weather was ok but some low hanging clouds on arrival. The ILS of the a/c was also not working well even though the NAV1 was oké. Landing was problematic but landed safely.

I will fly the same route again (the VA logging program crashed and the PIREP could not be submitted) but with a good a/c that I know behaves well.

Glad to be back, missing it a lot and hoping to get that new super PC soon. This is the configuration I have in mind:
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Q9550 2.8 GHz
  • Hard Disk: 750GB for Operating system partition. Later a separate HD for scenery and data and increase throughput
  • Video: nVidia GeForce 9800GT with 1GB dedicated video memory. DirectX 10

No comments: