Saturday 7 January 2012

Twin Otter adventures: Panama city to Puerto Obaldía

Has been nearly two months since my last flight with Flight Simulator X so this is my first flight of the year 2012. Naturally and being it an online flight on IVAO, it is flown at 1x rate, why cheat?
Our Aircraft
Our destination is a remote location on the San Blas reserve on the Republic of Panama and it is the short and narrow landing strip of Puerto Obaldía. We will be using the Aerosoft Twin Otter (ICAO: DHC6-300) because we need a plane with STOL capabilities. Also because the Twin Otter is a regular visitor of this location and region. We will be using the beautiful Air Panama livery found on the internet.
On this particular aircraft I have logged officially more than 25 hours of online flight plus many more of offline (test) flights.
Log Book
This flight will be recorded in our master logbook at Virtual Pilots Association as well as on Aero Virtual Panama. We will be flying a commercial schedule flown by Air Panama as flight number PST423.
Flight Plan
YFR-MPMG-MPOA-FlightPlanOn the left there you can appreciate the eastern part of the Republic of Panama. We will be departing Marcos A. Gelabert (ICAO: MPMG) airport in Panama city (Albrook) at 08:30.
Our route will be TUM v16 ISUMA. Up to ISUMA we will flight at 8,000 feet under IFR rules covered by Panama TMA. At ISUMA we will descend to 3,500 feet and change to VFR. Therefore the flight plan is filed as YFR. According to the virtual dispatcher we should be flying around an hour and spend about 60 gallons of fuel.
Our destination is the small airfield of Puerto Obaldía (ICAO: MPOA) in the idyllic region of the San Blas archipelago, an indigenous semi-autonomous area with lots of small and challenging airfields (all but one missing in FSX). Puerto Obaldía is just a few miles from the border with Colombia. Many adventurous travellers cross from there to Colombia and back by boat.
Departure
Unfortunately no live ATC coverage on the IVAO network at the time of the flight. No problem, there is usually an a**hole that doesn’t know much about Panamanian airports controlling in the area.
FSX-PST423-2012-Jan-07-005At 8:10 we begin going through the checklists while boarding is taking place. Our first leg is MPMG to Tocumen, therefore I tune the TUM (ICAO: TUM 117.10) VOR/DME on NAV1 for navigation, and set it as well in NAV2 because our a/c uses that for the DME. The course indicator is set to 66 degrees, our heading to TUM. We also tune the La Palma VOR (ICAO: PML 113.10) on the Standby frequency of both NAV1 and NAV2.
FSX-PST423-2012-Jan-07-006As a helper (you never know when you need it) I have also set the Taboga NDB (ICAO: TBG 311.00) on the ADF at least for the first half of our trip. The METAR said winds were low but variable and we were assigned runway 36. Closed the doors, final checklists done, pushback and taxied to the runway. After being cleared for take-off (sadly no traffic in IVAO) I did the initial climb and turned right to intercept R-096 inbound TUM overflying the beautiful city of Panama, hereby a bit FSX-PST423-2012-Jan-07-008better depicted than the default FSX (my own improvements)
Not surprisingly after a little while we found ourselves arriving to Tocumen. By now I have activated the autopilot to maintain our cruise altitude.
The TUM VOR/DME is used for most SID/STARs of Tocumen International airport. We have to fly with care here because it is a busy airport. I suppose in real life we may have been routed some other way.
Cruise
FSX-PST423-2012-Jan-07-014We passed TUM and there were some clouds at our altitude but we could see the ground. The snapshot on the left shows my kneeboard containing the flight plan and my NAV1/2 radios together with the GPS. In particular I was paying close attention to the waypoints in the GPS and the DME, the TUM-ISUMA leg is 96nm R-096 outbound TUM. That’s why it is on active for both NAV1 (navigation) and NAV2 (DME). The FSX-PST423-2012-Jan-07-016TBG NDB should be pointing nearly backwards.
We are on the clouds as you can see on this snapshot. However on the left there were some ominous black cloud blanket on the sea. On this long leg we should be passing the Pacora and Bayano river mouths on the Pacific coast. You cannot miss the large Bayano lake which is man-made either, if on course we should be bordering the south eastern shores of the lake.
Descent
FSX-PST423-2012-Jan-07-018When around 86nm outbound TUM I placed the heading bug at 135 degrees. I also switched frequencies on NAV1 so that PML was active. According to my planning, ISUMA is at the intersection of TUM R-096 and PML R-039. PML has no DME (sad) so I was hoping that by putting the NAV1 OBS to R-039 I could see the CDI closing in as we neared ISUMA. I did not see that happening, don’t know if it is a bug in the Aerosoft Twin Otter or what. Anyway, there is the small peninsula of Mulatupu, there should be a small island there wit small FSX-PST423-2012-Jan-07-022airstrip (not in FSX). Anyway, this is our visual reference. Having passed the mountains (will have to update that on FSX) I initiated descent to 3500 feet, switched to VFR according to flight plan and turned heading 135.
My flight on Aero Virtual Panama is monitored by an ACARS device so on their page you can see the Live ACARS moving map. There you can appreciate that on heading 135 we should be flying with the coast of San FSX-PST423-2012-Jan-07-024Blas on our right, lots of small beautiful islands in real life, as many as there are days in a year!
On this ISUMA-MPOA leg we could have switched the ADF to the Tupile (ICAO: TPL) NDB. Just prior to arriving to ISUMA Tupile should be on our right but on this final leg along the coast it should be right behind us.
Approach
If the La Palma VOR also had a DME it could have been more helpful. In my virtual flight map, our destination (Puerto Obaldia) should be at the FSX-PST423-2012-Jan-07-026intersection of TUM R-104 (DME 124nm) and PML R-073 (DME 46nm). Unfortunately the Panamanian aeronautical authority hasn’t invested in a DME for La Palma. Anyway, around here things are flown VFR (bush whacking). Along the coast we should see the Puerto Escoses peninsula growing towards us and shortly after the Punta Carreto pointing towards the sea. Many years ago a Twin Otter from AeroPerlas vanished prior to reporting at Punta Carreto. It crashed on the mountains…
It was very hazy even at low altitudes, that complicated with the fact that I had not tuned TPL, PML and TUM were out of range I lost my way for a while (shame on me) and you definitely don’t want to end up in Colombia without permission!. Anyway, finally I had runway in sight. I armed the auto feather. I had a weight of 9,900 pounds so according to the reference card on the virtual kneeboard I should setup for Vref of 72 knots., set flaps once I had reduced speed I configured flaps accordingly.
Arrival
FSX-PST423-2012-Jan-07-028The Puerto Obaldia (ICAO: MPOA) airfield is a hard surface (unlike some in the area) but it is relatively short. Here you only see STOL aicrafts such as Twin Otters, Britten Normal Islanders and the usual Cessnas. This airfield is not part of the standard FSX but was developed by Lord of Wings Flight Simulation. It is very close to the real one as far as I know and like all the others in the area, a challenge to land. FSX-PST423-2012-Jan-07-029Not having flown for several months I had lost my touch, I was pretty comfortable with the Twin Otter (not to mention I lost the touch on jets too). Sadly I had to declare a missed approach twice but I nailed it on the 3rd. The virtual passengers were getting a bit scared, many wanted to see their beloved ones and some were eager to try to catch a boat to Colombia.
FSX-PST423-2012-Jan-07-036So there we were, with a proper landing configuration I landed the Twin Otter on MPOA’s runway 17, the speed was low already but because the runway is short I applied reverse thrust anyway.
Taxied to the apron and left the right engine running as usual, getting ready for the return trip. I should have used 60 lbs. of fuel, loaded 140 lbs. but unfortunately used up more than expected due to the turn around. Now I barely have enough to return, that will be the next challenge Smile. For now the passengers offload and pass to the green house crowded by immigration and border police.
In summary, departure was on time and in spite of the two missed approaches arrival was also timely. Fuel usage was a bit excessive Sad smile, suffered a mild disorientation (even on the simulator you have to keep your skills!) Sad smile and landed at a rate of –632 feet/minute, definitely not my best landing rate on the Twin Otter, my best so far was –36 feet/minute at Playon Chico, another short runway in San Blas (also developed by Lord of Wings Flight Simulation).
Hopefully this year I get to fly a bit more than last year, I have been busy with several development projects and business ideas so that has priority. Have fun and fly safe!

No comments: